What You Can and Cannot Drink With Invisalign
Drinking With Invisalign
In theory, there are very few drinks that you cannot have while wearing Invisalign. The aligners are made of a strong material that is unlikely to break down while drinking any single beverage.
But in practice it is not quite that simple. There are some warnings and recommendations before you decide to have any beverage while wearing Invisalign braces:
- Multiple Hot Liquids Can Damage Aligners
Those that drink hot liquids regularly throughout the day may put their aligners at risk for warping. One single hot beverage is unlikely to be an issue, but exposing your aligners to repeated hot drinks can cause them to distort in a way that may affect their success rate.
- Dark Liquids Can Discolor Teeth
Dark beverages are unlikely to damage the aligners. But they may discolor teeth. The color from the beverages can get trapped within the aligner and stain your teeth in a way that is undesirable. Whitening after your Invisalign treatment is over can help, but it is not ideal.
- All Liquids Can Cause Cavities
Similarly, exposing your teeth to drinks – especially sugary drinks – while wearing the aligners can be problematic. The sugars can get trapped within the aligner directly against the tooth, and possibly lead to tooth decay.
For The Least Risk: Drink Only Water
It is because of these risks that we recommend you only drink water while wearing your Invisalign braces, and remove the braces for any other beverage just as you normally would with dinner. Water is the only liquid that cannot cause cavities or damage the aligners.
However, if you find that you’re out and about and unable to take off the aligners, consider the following:
- Use a Straw – Drinking soda or wine through a straw isn’t perfect, but can reduce the amount of liquid that comes into contact with your aligners.
- Drink White/Light Drinks – From light colored alcohol to white sodas, light colored drinks will be less likely to stain aligners.
- Brush Thoroughly After – Once you find yourself near your toothbrush, brush, floss, and clean your aligner thoroughly.
It is not recommended that you drink anything other than water with Invisalign, but if you follow the above tips you should reduce your risk of dental problems.